Our History

Our mission is to engage students and alumni in diverse learning opportunities to support their academic, personal and professional growth.

A “One-Stop Hub” for Students

That’s right – everything you need to navigate university life and what follows starts with us. We officially opened our doors to students and recent alumni on September 14, 2010, supporting needs related to career services, first year orientation, and community engagement and leadership. Within a year, we extended our services to academic support, offering programs and workshops related to note-taking, exams, writing, and studying.

We believe that there are many ways to measure success in university, such as focusing on academic, personal, and professional goals. For us, success is about helping you navigate and achieve your goals within and beyond our community. Between our services, workshops, events, and well-trained staff, we strive to bring you exceptional services during your time at McMaster and the years that follow. We work with many campus and community partners to enhance the quality of our programs and provide you with an array of academic, personal, and professional opportunities. In 2014, we integrated International Student Services (ISS) into our core programs to continue building on our vision of being a “one-stop hub” for you. In 2015, we also responded to student feedback and launched Mac’s Money Centre – a service that teaches and helps develop personal finance skills.

Our latest survey in 2016 revealed that 97% of students felt that we fostered a warm and welcoming environment; and, that 97% of them would recommend us to a friend. We are very proud of these results, but we are also committed to responding to that remaining 3%!

I left my appointment at the SSC feeling like I had been more productive in 45 minutes than in a regular four hour block of homework time.

McMaster University Student

Unsure of where to start? We’ve got you.

  Academic Support Services

We know that university sometimes has its challenges, which is why we provide a diverse set of academic services. Visit our Academic pages to read about the ways we can help you improve your academics.

  Personal Development Services

University is not just about academics; it’s also about learning more about who you are and where you want to be in life. Visit our Personal pages to learn about some of the ways we support that process.

  Professional Development Services

We believe in your professional goals and also believe that it’s okay if you’re still figuring things out. Visit our Professional pages to uncover the ways we can assist with your career path.

International Student Services

ISS provides support for international students and internationally-minded Canadian students at McMaster University to promote an internationally informed and cross-culturally sensitive community with a shared purpose: the student experience. Services include: UHIP insurance, help with immigration matters, MacAbroad, transition and academic success.

Mac’s Money Centre

Invested in your financial wellness, Mac’s Money Centre has been developed for you, the students, to enhance your money management skills.  Explore the resources and services available to provide you with the knowledge and abilities to make informed financial decisions.

Alumni Career Services

The Student Success Centre and McMaster Alumni Association/Office of Alumni Advancement are pleased to offer continuing opportunities for McMaster alumni to stay connected with the university. Whether you are a recent graduate in career transition or an established professional looking to share your knowledge and experience, discover the opportunities to help you achieve your goals.

Employer & Community Partners

With an international reputation for innovative educational programming, McMaster prepares students with the technical, creative and interpersonal skills required to excel and achieve success. Connect with McMaster to meet your organizational needs.