Welcome Week (September)
Let’s start the year together!
First of all, congratulations and welcome to our Marauder family! We’re glad you’re here with us.
We’re busy working to create a memorable Welcome Week experience for you and your fellow new Marauders
We are committed to providing you with a memorable and enjoyable experience through exciting online programming for Welcome Week. Our teams of Welcome Week planners are working together to create a vibrant, inclusive, accessible and diverse Welcome Week that accommodates your interests and schedule — no matter your physical location. By participating in Welcome Week, you’ll also get to connect with peers, upper-year students, faculty and staff, and learn about valuable support services that can help make your university transition as smooth as possible.
The Welcome Week 2021 schedule is coming soon — stay connected for updates
Starting in July, check your McMaster email for updates about Welcome Week and orientation. Also, follow us on Instagram (@MacSSC). We have takeovers dedicated to you and your fellow incoming first-year students every Monday. Stay tuned to find out how we can help make your transition to university a successful one!
MacPass is your all-access pass to Welcome Week — registration opens in July
The information from your MacPass registration will be used to verify your mailing address. We need this information so that we can send you a Welcome Week package. Come back in July for more details on 2021 MacPass registration.
Why should I go to Welcome Week?
- Welcome Week includes a wide range of social and academic activities designed to ease your transition to university.
- You can get engaged in university life and participate in events and programs designed to help connect you with your Faculty and professors, staff, upper-year reps and, most importantly, other students.
- You pay for your MacPass, which is your registration pass for Welcome Week, through a mandatory orientation fee.
I work during the day, so I can’t attend Welcome Week. Can I still participate?
- Welcome Week has been extended into the first week of class, with the expectation that most students will not be working this week.
- Many of the sessions will be recorded, so you can review them at a time that works for you.
Do I have to attend all the events?
We encourage you to attend the events and programs that you are most interested in throughout Welcome Week. A variety of programs and events have been developed to engage students and provide you with opportunities to make connections with students, staff and faculty.
Can I bring friends to Welcome Week?
Sorry, no outside guests can attend McMaster programs and events during Welcome Week.
What is a MacPass?
- The MacPass is your “all-access pass” to the events and programs taking place during Welcome Week.
- This is covered by a mandatory university orientation fee paid by all first-year undergraduate students registered for 18 or more units.
- Since you are paying for MacPass, we encourage you to take advantage of the benefits.
- You will also receive a MacPass package that will be sent to the address you specify on your MacPass registration. This will include a first-year Welcome Week buff, a few other swag items and information on Welcome Week 2020.
Who is eligible for a MacPass?
- Full-time first-year undergraduate students
- Mature students entering first year
- International students
- First-year transfer students
- Mohawk and Conestoga nursing students (payment required)
- Part-time students
- Transfer students not entering first year
- Upper-year students
- Midwifery students
- MELD students
I want to change my MacPass registration details. How can I do this?
Please email email@example.com.
Note: MacPass registration changes can only be made before the registration deadline.
Do I have to pay for my MacPass?
First-year mandatory orientation fee:
- On March 28, 2012, McMaster students voted in favour of a University Orientation Fee (MacPass) for all first-year undergrad students registered for 18 or more units. This fee is used for the operation of Welcome Week, organized in partnership by the MSU and the Student Success Centre. If you are registered for 18 units or more as of August 31, 2020, this $100 charge will appear on your student account. This fee will entitle you to participate in all orientation programs and events administered by the Student Success Centre, MSU, Archway and Faculty societies commencing Monday, August 31 through to Wednesday, September 9, 2020.
- Participation in MacPass registration and Welcome Week is optional. However, the orientation fee is mandatory.
Note: Mohawk and Conestoga first-year nursing students who wish to participate can purchase a MacPass for $100.
Do I have to get a MacPass?
Participation in MacPass registration and Welcome Week is optional. However, the orientation fee is mandatory.
I’m an upper-year student who missed my Welcome Week. Can I get a MacPass?
Unfortunately, no. The MacPass is exclusively for first-year students at McMaster. The MacPass cannot be purchased by upper-year students.
McMaster Student Success Centre, McMaster Residence Life, McMaster Off-Campus Resource Centre, McMaster Equity and Inclusion Office, McMaster Student Accessibility Services, McMaster Student Wellness Centre, McMaster Indigenous Student Services, McMaster Athletics & Recreation, and Office of Alumni Advancement, and the McMaster Students Union (MSU), including the McMaster Science Society, McMaster Social Sciences Society, McMaster Humanities Society, McMaster Engineering Society, DeGroote Commerce Society, Society of Arts & Science Students, McMaster Kinesiology Society, McMaster University Nursing Students Society, Bachelor of Health Sciences Society, Society of Off-Campus Students
Asking for help early is key to success in university. Regardless of learning ability, all students should take advantage of...
In university, successful students plan for success. They find support early, manage their time using schedules and tools, study actively,...
McMaster’s COVID-19 readiness plan for undergraduate students McMaster University has updated its COVID-19 readiness plan with both local and provincial...
McMaster University recommends that international students should not arrive in Canada more than four weeks before the Fall 2021 semester...
This written piece was a winning submission (first place) for the 2021 Academic Skills Writing Contest. The 2021 theme was "comfort."