Applied Workplace Learning and Experience
Gain work experience related to your interests
Explore, experience and connect through workplace integration. Participation in these programs can help you gain career-related knowledge while also developing your employability skills. Through these programs, you will also:
- Gain a better understanding about careers and industries of interest while also exploring other career options.
- Discover the importance of academic learning and skills and the ways in which they connect to the workplace through guided activities.
- Develop a new set of skills through applied experiences enabling you to market yourself professionally.
- Actualize the value of existing skills and experiences and their relationship to potential career paths.
- Strategize ways to source, connect and leverage relationships with industry professionals.
These programs are open to students and alumni.
Job Shadow Services
Please note that job shadow opportunities are currently unavailable due to COVID-19.
Gain valuable insight through on-demand job shadowing
Did you know that 84% of potential Canadian employers expect you to have three years of experience for entry-level jobs? We know this expectation is high, especially when you’ve got academics and other commitments to worry about.
We can help you get that first step in the door with our Job Shadow services. We can facilitate those connections and help you find the right fit for you. Start building experience one small step at a time. It all adds up, and it all counts.
- Fall Job Shadow Program: During the October break, take part in an exciting job shadow — there are many opportunities to choose from. Applications through OSCARplus open the first week of September.
- Young Women in Leadership Job Shadow Program: During the February break, develop leadership skills through an engaging job shadow. Apply through OSCARplus from the available opportunities. Applications open the first week of January.
- Job Shadow Appointments: Book a one-on-one appointment in OSCARplus to discuss your interests and find an opportunity that’s right for you.
Student and Experience e-Development Program (SEED)
Gain relevant skills for your resume
Gain relevant skills for the job market by participating in the SEED program. SEED gives you direct access to mentors who can help you advance your career or unlock your interests. We help you connect with an industry professional to ensure you have the best experience possible.
How it works: To complete the SEED program, you must commit 1-1.5 hours each month to work through our four core themes. Each theme has an activity and skills assessment that you will discuss with an industry mentor. If you complete the program, you will receive a certificate of completion that you can use on your resume.
Build a Brighter #HamOnt
Career Treks are short-term opportunities that can provide you with real world, hands-on experience. During this experience, students have the opportunity to work with a company to provide project support, while gaining experience and getting mentorship in that career or industry.
Experiences include communications, marketing, testing, market validation, website redesign, business strategy, arts and creative, market research, data analysis, focus group, beta testing, hands-on production, and more. The Career Trek format has many options, such as:
- Half day (a couple of half days; 5 to 10 hours)
- Work in groups (apply individually)
- Unpaid career guidance and mentorship from a supervisor
These opportunities will be posted throughout the year on OSCARplus, under SSC Sessions & Workshops.
Canadian Work Experience and Skills Development Program
Are you interested in gaining experience in the Canadian job market?
This program offers a pathway for students to explore their career readiness in the Canadian workplace. Students participating in the program can build the skills and experiences that employers are looking for. Special attention will be given to the value of your international experiences outside Canada and help you integrate these experiences into your career planning. With a combination of in-person and online components, the program is flexible and fully supported by our career experts.
Gain confidence speaking about your unique skills, including the benefits of being an international student
Write a resume that appeals to Canadian employers
Receive mentorship from alumni in the workplace
Build your knowledge and experience by visiting a workplace
Experience one to two days of career-related experience
Take a personalized approach to your career path with our Applied Workplace Learning and Experience Appointments.
- Explore career paths
- Apply and participate in opportunities
- Make industry connections
Do you already have experience? Book a Now What Appointment to find out what you can do with your job shadow, volunteer, or summer job experiences.
- Craft how you share your experiences on your resume
- Create an action plan
- Apply what you’ve learned