10 tips for McMaster University’s Fall Career Fair
By: Teresa Finelli
Fall Career Fair is McMaster University’s largest career event of the year, featuring 110+ employers all in one place. This year, the fair will take place from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. in DBAC Sport Hall, with opportunities for full-time, part-time, paid internship, co-op and summer jobs.
- Research the companies that are attending the fair. Consider which companies seem the most interesting or relevant to your career plan.
- Prepare some questions that you can ask each employer. This will help you make the most of each conversation.
- Visit the Student Success Centre’s drop-in hours (Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, 1:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.) to have an advisor critique your resume. Remember, it’s better to bring too many copies of your resume than to run out!
- Create and practice an elevator pitch that includes who you are and highlights your skills and career goals. The goal of this pitch is to convince hiring managers — in a brief amount of time — that you would be an asset to their organization.
- Attend one of the Student Success Centre’s workshops to learn how to successfully connect with hiring managers. Go to OSCARplus and select the SSC events and workshops calendar to register.
- Dress for success. Your clothing should be clean and without any slogans or rips.
- At the fair, be courteous and respectful of others’ conversations.
- Visit the career fair advisor booth if you need help at the fair. We have experts who are ready to meet with you and discuss your career goals.
- Take your time when talking to company representatives. This will help you establish a personal connection.
- Send thank-you notes to each employer you have connected with at the event. This is a simple courtesy that will show employers that you are genuinely interested in their organization.
There’s a great career waiting for you. Thanks to the Fall Career Fair, it’s easier to find than you might think. Visit us for more information.
A special thank you to this year’s sponsors: JNE Group Of Companies (gold sponsor); Parker Hannifin Canada (silver sponsor); ArcelorMittal Dofasco (bronze sponsor); EMCO Corporation (bronze sponsor); Imperial (bronze sponsor); and, Oracle (bronze sponsor).