The Student Success Centre careers team knows that interviews can be intimidating. We’ve all been there, after all — the good interviews, the not-so-good interviews and all those in between.
Introducing: Big Interview
Whatever your interviewing skill and comfort level, the right preparation and support can help you feel better prepared and more confident. To provide you with support, we’ve subscribed to Big Interview software for McMaster students and recent alumni (within five years of graduation).
Big Interview is a comprehensive interview practice tool that will help you develop your interviewing skills based on your situation and industry of interest. Take advantage of Big Interview to prepare for work interviews, professional school interviews, clubs, volunteer opportunities and more.
Some features include:
- Written and video lessons to support every part of the job search and interview process
- A large database of interview questions based on different industries or skills (teamwork, time management, etc.)
- Tip: Create your own practice interview with questions that fit the opportunity, occupation or interview type you’re preparing for.
- Mock interviews — practice, record, review and share your progress
- Tip: Virtual interviews are becoming more and more common, so it helps to get familiar with this style of interviewing with as much practice as possible.
How to get started
- Visit the McMaster Big Interview website.
- Register for a free account using your first name, last name and McMaster email. (If you’ve graduated and don’t have access to your McMaster account, email email@example.com.)
- Watch the overview video.
- Start developing your interviewing skills with practice, practice and more practice.
Note: Big Interview is provided by a third-party service.
Get support to improve your job search
We host career and job search workshops throughout the year to help you take your search to the next level. These sessions will help you with interview preparation, resume and cover letter writing, LinkedIn profile creation, searching for summer jobs and more. Browse upcoming dates and register on OSCARplus > Student Success Centre > Events.
Put your communication skills to the test in a professional setting
We host company information sessions throughout the year. Participate in these sessions to learn about different industries, connect with employers and learn about open positions that suit your interests. Check OSCARplus > Student Success Centre > Events to learn about upcoming sessions.
We post jobs on OSCARplus daily
Did you know that our careers and employment team connects directly with employers who want to hire McMaster students? Throughout the year, we post thousands of opportunities on OSCARplus > Student Success Centre > Employment > Job Postings. You can even apply for jobs through OSCARplus. New jobs are posted all the time, so it’s a good idea to check often.