Virtual career fair tips
Are you unsure how to participate in virtual career fairs? How do you connect with employers and make a positive first impression in an online environment?
Here are some details about the fair that can help you prepare:
- The virtual platform (Brazen) is chat-based with video capabilities, so be camera-ready if you plan to use video.
- Chats with employers are seven minutes long (hosts have the option of extending the chat time).
- Get in line for multiple booths. Make sure to turn up your computer volume so you don’t miss a connection with a host.
- Keep checking this page for updates to the participating employers.
- If you plan to attend both days, remember to register for each date separately.
- Employers’ virtual booths will include their company description, and some organizations will include positions they are hiring for. Check OSCARplus > Student Success Centre > Employment > Job Postings for the available positions.
- Create some short text responses that you can copy and paste to save time during short chats.
- If you’re using text chats, remember that the other person can’t see your body language. Make sure you are communicating well in writing.
- Upload your resume and include your LinkedIn profile URL.
- Don’t post too much text at once. Send your messages in a brief, professional manner.
- Be mindful of the time left in your chat, and try to ask for contact information from the recruiter to follow up later with questions or to connect on LinkedIn.
- Collect your chat transcripts to review later. Transcripts are available in the History section on Brazen.
Check out this tip sheet for more guidance on how to prepare for the fair so you’re organized and ready to discover your next opportunity.
After the fair
Once you’ve participated in Fall Career Fair, you’ll have established new connections with employers and recruiters. However, it’s important that you make an effort to maintain and grow these connections after the fair. Check out these tip sheets to learn how.