Why should you volunteer in Canada?
- Volunteering as an international student in Canada is a great way to gain Canadian experience during your studies.
- Volunteering is valued by employers.
- Volunteer positions are often flexible and accommodating to your school schedule and commitments.
- Volunteering for charities, non-profit organizations and community groups are effective ways to broaden your professional, academic and personal development.
Experiencing Canadian culture
- You will gain Canadian work experience.
- You will participate in and contribute to your community.
- You will learn about Canadian values, norms and customs.
Expanding your network
- You will meet new people with similar interests.
- You will develop professional relationships.
- You will celebrate diversity.
Developing advanced skills
You will develop critical skills such as:
- Language and communication
- Critical thinking
Developing experiences and references
- You will expand your resume.
- You will stand out in interviews.
- You will gain confidence in your job search.
From an employer’s perspective
Did you know that one-third of the 12.7 million Canadian volunteers indicate they receive support from their employers? Employers who support their staff in volunteering have found their employees to be more motivated, productive and have a better sense of well-being.
Volunteering helps employers to:
- Recruit top talent.
- Enhance employee engagement.
- Improve workplace morale.
- Augment business profile and credibility.
How to find a volunteer position
- Research groups and organizations that you are passionate about.
- Narrow your search by reflecting on your skills and goals.
- Refer to the Experience Building page on the SSC website.
You can also log onto OSCARplus and go to the Volunteer and Experience Building > Posting tab to discover opportunities.
For further support, book an appointment with us under Appointments > Careers > Book by Appointment Type > Volunteering.