How does further education fit into your career plan? Maybe you need a graduate degree (master’s or PhD) or postgraduate certificate to pursue your dream career. Or maybe you just want to continue learning and building skills before you enter the workforce. We can help you make an informed decision on which type of further education best suits you.
Why attend grad school? Doctoral (PhD) and master’s programs can help you build specialized skills and knowledge related to your career field. These programs and degrees can help you meet your goals and get to the next phase in your career path.
Research your options
- McMaster School of Graduate Studies: McMaster offers many exciting graduate programs. Visit the McMaster School of Graduate Studies website for more information.
- Career Cruising: This career guidance resource features Canadian information on hundreds of occupations and educational opportunities.
- Universities Canada database: A detailed directory of almost 15,000 university programs (graduate and undergraduate) across Canada
- CanLearn: A helpful Canadian program search tool
Further education doesn’t just refer to master’s and PhD programs. Postgraduate certificate programs are a great way to build on your undergraduate degree. These opportunities are usually one-year, career-focused programs that include co-op or work placement.
McMaster University Continuing Education
McMaster offers many professional certificates through Continuing Education. Some of the programs allow you to complete the certificate while pursuing your undergraduate degree.
The Ontario Colleges website is a great resource to help you explore different certificate options. Try searching for “graduate certificates,” “postgraduate diplomas” or “accelerated programs.”
You can expand your learning and development through online, self-directed courses.
Massive online open courses (MOOCs) are flexible opportunities that let you be curious, explore your interests, and expand your skills and knowledge without committing to a traditional course structure.
Self-directed learning platforms
- LinkedIn Learning: An online training database with thousands of video courses on business, education, design, photography, programming, animation, video, audio and music. As a McMaster student, you have access to thousands of courses on LinkedIn Learning.
- edX: A collection of more than 2,500 online courses from 140 top institutions.
- Coursera: A database of online courses and programs from more than 190 universities and companies.
Further education support
Researching and applying for programs can be a lot to deal with — but you’re not in it alone. We offer workshops, one-on-one appointments and resources to help you with research, planning and program applications.
We offer a series of workshops on further education every fall term. Join us at these sessions to explore your options and learn how to prepare successful program applications.
Check OSCARplus > Student Success Centre > Events for the most up-to-date workshop details and listings.
- Considering Graduate School?: Get an overview of your graduate school options and get tips on how to explore different programs.
- Alternatives to Graduate School: There’s more to further education than just graduate school. Explore the full range of further education options.
- Considering Medical School?: Learn how to prepare a successful Ontario medical school application.
- Preparing for Medical School Interviews: Learn what to expect and how to prepare for your medical school interview.
- Online Chats With Professionals: Ask a professional about their further education experience and career preparation. Online Chats for the following programs and careers are available: medical school, law school, teachers college, social work, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech-language therapy and public health.
Do you want help with your further education decisions? Do you need help exploring program options and preparing applications? We’re available to meet with you one-on-one to answer your further education questions. Book an appointment on OSCARplus > Student Success Centre > Appointments > Careers.
Have just a few quick questions?
Our drop-in career services can provide answers to most simple further education questions. Drop-in chats are open every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, 1:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Videos (recorded webinars)
Build confidence with Big Interview
Big Interview is a comprehensive interview practice tool that will help you build confidence and develop your interviewing skills. Choose from a large database of interview questions to create your own practice sets that fit with the opportunity, occupation or interview type you’re preparing for.