How to prepare for the Online Volunteer and Part-Time Job Fair
Your guide to getting ready for the fair
The Online Volunteer and Part-Time Job Fair is happening next week (November 10). Are you feeling ready? (It’s okay if you aren’t!)
We asked some of the participating employers and organizations to share some tips to help you get prepared. Check out what they had to share so you can show up ready to network and explore.
Know your goals.
- What do you want to get out of attending the fair? A job? A volunteering opportunity? General experience-building ideas and advice?
- It’s important to know your goals, but remember to be open-minded. You just might discover something you hadn’t thought about!
Update your resume.
- Does your resume include your latest experiences and skills? (Remember, transferrable skills show how well you can adapt to new situations!)
- It’s okay to need some help — check out the fair event page and the SSC’s job search services for helpful tips and resources.
Research the organizations, and prepare some questions in advance.
- Browse the organizations on the fair event page. Think about how your interests and qualifications might fit with each organization or opportunity.
- What do you want to know more about the organization or position? Don’t be afraid to ask! (For example, you’ll want to know if the position(s) requires virtual or in-person work.)
Test your technology.
- Make sure your computer is working and your Internet connection is stable. Whether you choose to use video chat, audio chat or text chat, make sure all the applicable tools (microphone, webcam, assistive technology, etc.) are working properly.
- Choose a quiet place without distractions.
Get ready to demonstrate your interest and be enthusiastic!
- At the fair, you’ll want to show recruiters and representatives that you want to be there. Smile, ask questions and share your willingness to learn and get involved. This is how you share your personality outside of your resume.